An ideal internship opportunity for someone with a passion and interest in social justice, communications/social media, and community engagement. Applicants should feel comfortable doing presentations to groups and individuals with a variety of points of view.
Truth in Recruitment is a non-profit, student advocacy group based in Santa Barbara, California. We table in schools providing alternative information to military careers, give classroom presentations, organize public forums on the issue, and monitor recruiter presence on campuses. We also meet with school board members, school administrators, teachers, students, families, and youth groups to implement policies that regulate recruiter access to students.
Interns will work with a coordinator and with student and community volunteers to:
• Research existing recruiter school policies and protocols in Santa Barbara County School Districts.
• Assist in the establishment of a network and develop local commitment and support through outreach and presentations to community and youth groups such as — PTAs & parents organizations; community centers; high-school and college student clubs and classes; religious organizations; and veterans associations.
• Assemble and distribute organizing materials and sample policies.
• Help maintain our website and social media accounts.
• Develop a working list of agencies, media, and other resources to be contacted with information about regulating recruiters in schools.
• Set up appointments and meet with school staff and administrators.
***Bilingual and bicultural applicants preferred***
Veterans, students, and parents encouraged to apply!
Salary: $15/hour @6-8 hours/week to be paid once a month.
Please send a brief cover letter and resume to Kate Connell, connell.kateclareatgmail.com and
Stephen Pope stephenatheaveneverywhere.com.