Truth in Recruitment is a non-profit, student advocacy group based in Santa Barbara, California. We are students, families, veterans, youth groups, teachers, social justice activists and members of faith communities. Our goal is to help students ask the right questions about the stakes of a military career, provide non-military options for academic and professional success, inform parents of their privacy rights, and to implement school policies regulating recruiter presence on campuses.
We began in 2011 when Santa Barbara High School students spoke out against the prevalence of recruiters as guest speakers in classes and their casual presence on campus. In 2014, as a culmination of our two-year campaign, the Santa Barbara Unified School District Board passed a district policy limiting recruiter presence on school campus and the direct solicitation of students’ contact information. Our work continues countywide – monitoring recruiter presence on campuses; tabling with alternative information to military careers; and lobbying for comprehensive school recruiter policies.
If you are a student or family member, please take a look at our page Life After High School for information on ways to make a difference in your community and set yourself up for an enriching career. Also, take a look at our many resources to learn about your family’s privacy rights, and how to opt out of having your child’s information released to recruiters.
Schools are for the education of students!
We are excited to announce that Truth in Recruitment is one of the nonprofit organizations selected for the #SBGives! fundraiser. SB Gives! is a year-end fundraising program that is sponsored by The Santa Barbara Independent and The Fund for Santa Barbara to create a new network of donors for nonprofits serving Santa Barbara County.
Please use this link: https://www.sbgives.org/nonprofit/truth-in-recruitment/ to give to Truth in Recruitment.
And share this on your Facebook page and Instagram!
We need your input!
Follow up on our October meeting with the Santa Barbara Unified School District (SBUSD) school board members and assistant superintendent.
They agreed to some of our asks:
- Distribution of a single page recruiter guidelines, as required by policy, to all staff and recruiters when they visit.
- Annual meetings with all of the high school administrators to discuss policy implementation, beginning this Fall, 2017.
- Follow up meeting with SBUSD to mark progress of policy implementation within this school year.
For further discussion and clarification:
- Recruiters will not have surveys, cards or signup sheets that collect student contact information directly from students on their tables or at presentations.
- Opt Out forms that allow families to opt out separately from the military or college access to student directory information.
- Guest speakers will not disrupt regular educational activities by recruiting during class time.