Considering enlistment? Take another look at your options! There are many ways to be of service and prepare yourself for a successful future.
Go to college:
- All high school graduates within the Santa Barbara City College’s district can attend free of cost for two years. www.sbccpromise.org
- Allan Hancock College in North Santa Barbara County offers 1 year free tuition to high school graduates. hancockcollege.edu/promise
- Most students qualify for financial aid. Santa Barbara Scholarship Foundation gives scholarship based on need and merit. www.sbscholarship.org
- California Student Aid Commission; www.csac.ca.gov.
- Fill out a FAFSA form during your senior year. www.fafsa.gov
- Talk to financial aid staff at the schools you want to attend.
Consider an Americorps program: Americorps volunteers earn a living stipend plus an educational award toward college. www.americorps.gov
Travel: Travel doesn’t have to be expensive. Consider biking, lodging in youth hostels, hiking the Appalachian Trail or participating in service/learning opportunities abroad. Peace Works Travel offers students an invitation to witness a people’s journey from war to peace. www.peaceworkstravel.com
Job training: Santa Barbara County Workforce Resource Center www.workforceresource.com.
Service Opportunities: View volunteer opportunities in Santa Barbara County: https://www.countyofsb.org/volunteer.sb. Get connected for Jobs & Internships through the Non-profit Resource Network www.sbnprn.org.
Pursue your interests: You have a unique combination of skills and talents. When you become proficient at your own discipline, you benefit your family, your community and the world.
Be Who You Are In The World!
Video about military fairs in Southern California: Disneyland of War, short documentary by Christopher Smiley
11 Excellent Reasons Not to Join the Military:
- You May Be Killed
- You May Kill Others
- You May Be Injured
- You May Not Receive Proper Medical Care
- You May Suffer Long-term Health Problems
- You May Be Lied To
- You May Face Discrimination
- You May Be Ordered To Do Things Against Your Beliefs
- You May Find It Difficult To Leave The Military
- You will not have the same Constitutional rights
- You Have Other Choices
From the book, “10 Excellent Reasons Not to Join the Military,” edited by Elizabeth Weill-Greenberg, 2006