Truth in Recruitment is looking for two enthusiastic and passionate individuals to join our team as the North & South-Santa Barbara County Community Organizers. This is a paid, part-time position (10-5 hours/week, $15/hour) that will last six months starting September 9th, with the opportunity to extend the position after that period. This position requires some flexibility with hours, such as occasional evening meetings.
The position is open to high school and college students, parents, community activists and veterans who live in the Santa Barbara area.
As the Community Organizer, you will work to enhance strategies that promote our goal of educating students, families, and school districts about alternatives to military careers, informing families of their children’s privacy rights, and advocating for policies that regulate recruiter presence on campuses.
Furthermore, the Community Organizer will collaborate with a coordinator and with student/community volunteers to:
- Research existing recruiter school policies and protocols in Santa Barbara County School Districts.
- Assist in the establishment of a network and develop local commitment and support through outreach and presentations to community and youth groups such as — PTAs & parents organizations; community centers; high-school and college student clubs and classes; religious organizations; and veterans associations.
- Assemble and distribute organizing materials and sample policies.
- Help maintain our website and social media accounts.
- Develop a working list of agencies, media, and other resources to be contacted with information about regulating recruiters in schools.
- Set up appointments and meet with school staff and administrators.
- Facilitate presentations to groups/classes.
***Bilingual and bicultural applicants preferred*** Veterans, students, and parents encouraged to apply!
Salary: $15/hour @10-15 hours/week to be paid once a month.
Applicants should submit a resume that details their relevant work and a cover letter stating their interests and qualifications. Contact Kate Connell at tirSC@truthinrecruitment.org; we ask that applicants state “Community Organizer Application” in the subject line of the email.